Our first book of the week is Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do You See? by Bill Martin and Eric Carle. This book is already well loved by my tot. He is constantly bringing me the book, grunting for me to read it. I chose this book to focus on first because I have already made a tot bag with activities for Kaleb and it is the perfect book to teach J her color/sight words. Here are some of the things we did.
We watched a video on You Tube on how to spell red. This was great. The tune was catchy and it offered visual clues and even had a time when you could sing it without the words. J loved this and it definitely helped her to remember how to spell red.
I was surfing on Pinterest and found these great color worksheets from Michelle Griffo. They are 10 free pages of writing color word practice. First, you write the word, then color, find them, and then cut and paste the word together. These are great.
We did a color experiment that I found at PreKinders. It even has a downloadable recording sheet to write what happened. First, we placed 3 different colored Skittles in a bowl. Then, J poured water over them completely. We discussed what might happen and I wrote down what she said. Then we waited.
It didn't take long, the colors started to bleed into the water and then the "S" removed itself from the candy. I took a picture but you really can't see the "S" floating around in the picture but it was fascinating to watch.
Then J recorded what happened on her worksheet. This was a super easy experiment to play with colors!
As J learns her color words, she is stamping them on this Brown Bear color sheet that I found here. I bought these alphabet stampers in America this summer and I absolutely love them. They come in a plastic carrying case and the letters are marked on the case, so you know where to put them back. I only bought the lowercase letters since we are going to work on sight words and such with them.
J painted some paper brown so she can make her own Brown Bear. She used several different objects to make different effects on the paper. She used a fork, sponge, large paintbrush, and a pipe cleaner to paint her brown fur. The templates for this art project can be found at first-grade-garden.blogspot, scroll down. This blog has some great ideas!
Here is her finished bear, pretty cute, huh? That's it for the book activities for Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Stay tuned for our next book of the week for more educationally fun activities.
As J learns her color words, she is stamping them on this Brown Bear color sheet that I found here. I bought these alphabet stampers in America this summer and I absolutely love them. They come in a plastic carrying case and the letters are marked on the case, so you know where to put them back. I only bought the lowercase letters since we are going to work on sight words and such with them.
J painted some paper brown so she can make her own Brown Bear. She used several different objects to make different effects on the paper. She used a fork, sponge, large paintbrush, and a pipe cleaner to paint her brown fur. The templates for this art project can be found at first-grade-garden.blogspot, scroll down. This blog has some great ideas!
Here is her finished bear, pretty cute, huh? That's it for the book activities for Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Stay tuned for our next book of the week for more educationally fun activities.

No comments:
Post a Comment