Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Book of the Week - Kindergarten


Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a family favorite. It is a great book for alphabet recognition. But since J already knows her alphabet and sounds, I decided to take it a little further. Here are some of the activities that we worked on for the week.


This book seemed to be the perfect opportunity to teach syllables. I taught J to clap her hands while saying a word in order to determine how many syllables it had. I found this game, complete with picture cards here. J would choose a picture, determine how many syllables, then add it to the mini pocket chart. She did really well with this.


Since J already knows her alphabet and sounds, we worked on beginning sounds for words. She had to look at the picture, determine the beginning sound, and write the letter. I am working with her writing, trying to get her to write the letters correctly. This as well as other great free worksheets were found at Mrs. Ricca's Kindergarten.


J worked on beginning sounds by stamping the letter that each picture began with. I have lost the link to these, sorry.


We used our five senses to explore a coconut and we did an experiment. The chart idea and printable pages came from here.


J predicted that a coconut would sink because it seemed so heavy. So, we tested out her hypothesis.


Imagine her surprise when it floated. We then spent some time opening the coconut.


Here is a picture of the inside of our coconut. I was able to crack it open with some effort. We will peel it and sample some at dinner. You can tell she is a tad worried about this. A funny thing that she said is that the coconut smelled like lotion (haha, I have a lotion for Bath and Body Works that smells like that)! We also watched the Scholastic video for Chicka Chicka Boom Boom which I own but you can watch it on here.

We finished yet another great book week and can't wait for our next book - The Napping House by Audrey Wood. And...I am working on another great tot bag - one based on the book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff. Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment