Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Book of the Week - Tot



Our first book of the week is Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do You See? by Bill Martin and Eric Carle. This book is already well loved by my tot. He is constantly bringing me the book, grunting for me to read it. I chose this book to focus on first because I have already made a tot bag with activities for Kaleb and it is the perfect book to teach J her color/sight words. Here are some of the things we did.


I have six bins that I have begun to fill with activities for Kaleb each week. These bins are in our school room and I use them to keep Kaleb occupied while I am teaching J. These are our Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do You See? tot bins for the week. (Don't worry, those scissors only cut paper)


I gave Kaleb the bin with the finger puppets that I made for the tot bag. He loved these. He took some time to place them on his finger and then we practiced the animal sounds.



I read the book (again) and left the ending page where all of the animals are located open. I showed him how to match the puppet to the animal.


We practiced the color matching clothespin wheel. I did not push actually matching the colors but we worked on opening and closing the clothespins. This will be an activity we will revisit.


I gave him the bin with the two-part magnetic puzzles. He liked these. I tried to show him how to put the animals together but he just wanted to do it his way. He placed all of the magnets on the board. This kept him occupied so I could teach math to J.


Kaleb tried out his new scissors with the Brown Bear cutting sheets that I included in his tot bag. It may be a long time before he masters this but he had fun trying.


For an art project, and since J was going to paint, I let Kaleb paint with some brown paint and a brush. I first had to clean off the table entirely and cover it with large pieces of craft paper. He loved painting and got upset when I removed him in order to clean up. Well, I can say he loved his Brown Bear, Brown Bear activities for the week. Stay tuned for our next book of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment