This will be a place to share details of my life, my homeschooling, and my crafts in a foreign country.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Book of the Week - Kindergarten
Our book of the week is If You Give A Mouse A Cookie by Laura Numeroff. This is one of our many favorite books. If you give a mouse a cookie, he will want some milk....
I made some word cookies that J flipped with a spatula. If she could read the word, she got to keep the cookie. She liked this game. This may reappear as we practice our reading.
We sequenced the story using the milk caps that I made with clipart.
J practiced counting by two's using the worksheet I found at Making Learning Fun (link below).
J and I played Catch the Cookies game that I found (link below). She is competitive like her father, always wanting to win.
I happened to have Inchimals and in the set there is a mouse which measures 3 inches long. We used the mouse to measure things.
For the Science part of the book, we did a milk/color experiment. This was really cool. I gave J a shallow dish of milk and she added food coloring where she wanted.
Then, she added a drop or two of dish detergent. Wow, look what happens! The colors swirl and mix, moving all ways. She was really surprised.
We also played toss the cookies. I set up three bins from IKEA and J had to toss the cookies in each bin. We were going to tally the results but Kaleb kept running after the cookies and taking them. We also made cookies, sorry no pics. This book is definitely a favorite. Hope you enjoyed the kindergarten version of our activities, stay tuned for the tot version (if I have an agreeable tot, ha ha). There are a lot of links if you want to explore the book on your own. Enjoy.
Links
Mom to 2 Posh Divas the idea for the sight word cookie flip came from here.
The Preschool Experiment the idea for feed the mouse the cookie came from here.
Flutter Flutter milk experiment idea here, her pictures of the experiment are so much better.
Izzy Mac and Me tons of ideas here for the book.
The Art Annex I didn't do this but I wanted to, directions for a clay mouse. Looks cute.
The Domestic Notebook ideas here for a mouse sock puppet, super cute.
Erica Bohrer first grade teacher with some ideas, I love her mouse and cookie graphing.
Blog She Wrote has an idea for cookie bean bags and a mouse puppet, cute gift.
Made for First Grade has some free writing worksheets for the book plus is selling some units as well.
Sylvan Hollow mouse puppet idea for a brown lunch bag.
First Grade Wow has a circle map idea for the story, have child draw each item.
Mouse Cookie Books has some online games for the books and the Cookie Chase game we played.
Make Learning Fun has the skip counting worksheet as well as other activities for the books.
Live, Love, Laugh Everyday in Kindergarten has a free sequencing activity using printable cards instead of milk tops. Super cute.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment