Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Book of the Week - Kindergarten


Our book of the week is The Legend of Spookley, the Square Pumpkin by Joe Troiano. We don't have the actual book but we own the app for the iPad. I was hesitant at first to buy the app because we don't really celebrate Halloween here. But I was pleasantly surprised when we read the book. It was about a pumpkin who is different that the others and how he saved the day. Since it is Fall, I decided to have a pumpkin week. One thing I should note is that we have pumpkins here but our pumpkins aren't orange, they are green. We won't be working with actual pumpkins this week. I wish we could. Here are some of the activities we did.


I printed pumpkins on orange paper and wrote J's words on them. She could "pick" the pumpkin when she read the word correctly. The pumpkins came from File Folder Fun.


I cut a felt pumpkin out with different pieces to decorate it. Here J is making a Picasso pumpkin - she is so enamored by Picasso.


I made a popsicle pumpkin puzzle for both Kaleb and J. I have been wanting to make this for a while and it was simple to do.


We read about the life cycle of a pumpkin and created a mini book.


J is working on her number order, she wrote her numbers from 1 to 20 on this pumpkin themed sheet.


J is working on her alpha order as well. She is singing her alphabet song while writing.


Spookley is a square pumpkin and at the end of the book, the pumpkin patch showcases pumpkins that are different. J made different shaped pumpkins for her patch.


J also did a pumpkin life cycle craft. This turned out cute and all of the pieces fit into her large pumpkin. Here you can see the seed, the leaf, the flower, green pumpkin, small orange pumpkin, and the large pumpkin.


J made a pumpkin snack from an English muffin (kinda), orange cream cheese, and chocolate chips. Both of the kids did this, well...Kaleb tried but he just ended up eating the chips! Well, we finished yet another great book/theme and we will be working with leaves next week. Hope you had fun in school this week!

Links

Serving Pink Lemonade idea for the felt jack-o-lanterns came from here.

Mrs. T's First Grade Class idea for the square pumpkin.

Mama Miss the printable for the pumpkin faces.

Mess For Less idea for the foam pumpkins came from here.

File Folder Fun pumpkin sight word game.

Meme Tales cream cheese pumpkin snack idea came from here.

Pinterest my pinterest board for fall ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment