This will be a place to share details of my life, my homeschooling, and my crafts in a foreign country.
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
Book of the Week - The Mitten
Our book of the week is the Mitten by Jan Brett. This has been a family favorite since the first generation of kids came through. (We are working on our second generation) This week's activities are based on my tot bag for The Mitten which you can read about here.
Kaleb started by coloring the animals that went into the mitten with markers.
We played hide the snowball under the mittens. He wasn't exactly thrilled with that game. He just wanted to play with the mittens.
Kaleb practiced fine motor skills by clipping clothespins onto a clothesline that I hung.
This was Kaleb's favorite activity - magnetic puzzles. There is just something about magnets that he loves. He was pretty good with matching up the colors.
I gave him the mitten bag and he explored the animals from the story. Each time he pulled one out, we would talk about the name and if it made a sound.
His favorite animal was the mouse, of course since his lovey is a mouse.
After he explored the animals in the mitten, he matched them to the animal cards that I printed. Another activity that he loved was acting out the story with the animals. While we were reading the story, he would place each animal into the mitten bag. After the mouse was placed in the bag, the bear would sneeze and shake all of the animals from the mitten onto Kaleb's head. He thought that was so funny! Sorry no picture, I had to use both my hands for that one.
I am a visual person so I created a Mitten Unit page complete with freebies around the web. The age of the activities range from tot to kindergarten. Maybe this will help you work on your own Mitten unit. You can download the document here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment