We are currently taking a break from the letter of the week so we can "row" some books. I have missed "rowing great books" and I am glad to be doing this again. This week, we "rowed" Goodnight Moon.
In Science, we are working through a Space Unit and I made this sensory bin for that. It just seemed to fit with Goodnight Moon as well. It has black beans, the planets, glow-in-the-dark stars and moons, and some white pom poms.
We always begin each day by reading the book. We have read this book before and one of Kaleb's favorite activities is to find the mouse on each page. The mouse "hides" in different places on each page. I love books that do this.
We talked about the letter M and completed a cut and paste sheet of letter M words. This was part of Goodnight Moon activities (link below).
We played a mitten matching game (link below). These mitten cards are great. Not only can you play a matching game but you can also sort these mittens according to attributes such as striped, spotted, or solid colored.
I was in Wal Mart recently and lucked out when they ran a half-off mark down sale. I found several learning games that ended up being less than $2! This alphabet soup game was one of my finds. Kaleb started by matching each of the letters to the soup bowls.
This was a fun game that I made up. I gave Kaleb a ping pong ball (looks like a moon) and programmed an egg carton with numbers 1 thru 5.
He would drop the moon into the egg carton and discover what number he got. Then, he would add blocks to the red balloons on the counter page (link below). Another way to play, although some what harder, would be to bounce the ball into the egg carton. We played to 50, counting each time he added blocks. This will help with number recognition.
Another game was to roll the die, and cover the number rolled with blocks. The first one to cover all of the numbers wins (link below).
He practiced his one-to-one correspondence by counting stars in the sky. I used some glow-in-the-dark stars from our Space Unit as counters. The star page came from Homeschool Creations.
We played alphabet soup again. He scoops the letters from the pot and sorts them in the muffin tin.
This was an activity that he chose to do - he sorted the stars, moons, and planets from the sensory bin.
Kaleb loves mouseys. So, we made two letter M mice. He loved these and they are currently hanging in our dining room.
He practiced his colors by coloring the balloons in a mini book. All mini books and printable will be placed in an interactive notebook for Goodnight Moon.
He made a super cute window scene. First, he painted stars onto blue construction paper with a q-tip. Then, he added a coffee filter moon and some red window strips.
Lastly, I placed a Goodnight Moon printable page under some cornmeal (it has a sand like consistency) and gave him a paint brush. He had to find the pictures below the cornmeal and then find it in the book. The printable came from Life Over C's (link below).
"Rowing" this book brought back so many memories "rowing" with J. I have missed this and will continue "rowing" good books for awhile. The transportation tot school was/is fun but I have missed this. I allow Kaleb to choose his next row by placing 2 or 3 books in front of him and asking which one he would like to work with the following week. He chose Angus Lost - so we will be "rowing" it next week. See you soon.
Links
Nurturing Learning - Goodnight Moon Sensory Bin idea.
Teaching Mama - another Goodnight Moon Sensory bin idea.
Choices for Children - cute fireplace craft idea to go along with Goodnight Moon.
We Bloom Here - a cute mouse finger puppet idea for Goodnight Moon.
Mrs. Kovi TPT - a cute balloon pop free printable number game.
Rachel D TPT - Letter M beginning sound free printable.
Malibu Mutts TPT - a cute cut and paste mouse project.
Mrs. Heather TPT - a cute mitten match game, free printable.
Wunderbare - has a cute tp mouse project which Kaleb loves.
Crystal and Co - has cute M is for Mouse letter craft.
Life Over C's - Goodnight Moon printable pack, free.
Love love love your posts! Always look forward to them. Just wanted to post an encouraging comment and a big thank you for taking the time!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! I needed that:)
Delete