We are off learning about the letter B. Kaleb is still fired up about school, begging until sometime tears. I was planning on focusing on one vehicle for the letter B but decided to combine them all. If I need to go back and fill in a week or two, I will review with a focus on one instead of all three. Part of the week, we worked on the Interactive Notebook pages for B that I posted earlier.
I used the blue rice from last week to make our B sensory bin. I added letters and a mini puzzle. Kaleb was more interested in taking the boats and using them in the water.
I gave him a small bin filled with water and he played with the boats.
One of the fine motor activities I planned this week was using styrofoam and golf tees. I gave him a small plastic hammer which he used to hammer the golf tees into the styrofoam. If I had a bigger piece, I would have written a letter B on it and had him pound them into the letter.
Next, I opened a bag of marbles and had him place a marble on top of each golf tee. Not so easy if they weren't in the foam straight.
I found some flat bottomed glass beads to work with the next activity. I printed this free game from Sara Dean's TPT store (link below). I was thinking boats = fishing. We are working on counting and one-to-one correspondence. I gave Kaleb a fish and he fed it the correct number of glass marbles. I had him use a sand shovel for some motor skills. We counted the marbles and he fed the fish. He did not, however, like the fish who had a 0 on it. He felt that poor fish needed some "food" because he was sad.
Next activity, I programmed some bus cut-outs with numbers 1 thru 6. I gave Kaleb a die which he rolled. When he landed on a number, he added the correct number of blocks to the bus.
He traced the capital and lower case letters with a bus. He noticed that part of the letter B looked like the McDonald's sign. Oh, boy!
He painted a bus blue. This cute printout I found at Action Alphabet (link below). After it dried, I put the wheels on with brads. He loved that his bus could roll.
He placed blocks on the letter B. This time, he grouped blue blocks together (all by himself).
I made a simple fishing pole using a magnet from our Science and a short wooden dowel. Kaleb went fishing by size using the free printable (link below) from Rita Mitchell.
He made a sailboat from a paper plate. To practice cutting, he cut all of the pieces of construction paper and then glued them on himself.
I also made a simple game using mini traffic cones that I found at the Dollar Store. I programmed each cone with capital and lower case letters A and B. I made rings from two pipe cleaners and had him try to throw the ring on the cone. When one landed on the cone, he would exclaim "Big A, Mommy!"
Growing Kinders (link below) had this cute five frame bus printable with children counters. I made it into a game by adding a number cube. We would toss the cube and add the amount of children to our bus. Then we would talk about who had the most children on the bus (greater and lesser numbers).
Lastly, we made boats from sponges and discovered that they would float. One of his favorite things this week was to play in the water with the plastic boats. He asked if he could keep them. We are moving to the letter C but we may return to the letter B since we had to condense our week into a couple of days due to an impromptu mini-vacation - a couple of days at a time-share that a friend of ours offered us :)
Links
Worldsapart - Wheel School Letter B Interactive Notebook Pages, free printable. Also, B is for Bike printable pack and lesson plans and B is for Bus lesson plans with free printable game.
Sara Dean - Fish Number Match free printable game.
Action Alphabet - Wheels on the Bus coloring page with moveable wheels.
Homemade Preschool - Wheels on the Bus free printable. This website is a new love of mine. They have super cute worksheets and such- all for free, no sign up required.
Rita Mitchell - Fishing by Size free printable game.
Growing Kinders - Kids on the Bus 5 frame free printable.
Pacheco's Bilingual Patch TPT store - free printable Row Your Boat Hat craft.
Love that you're back to posting. Your posts have been so helpful. I actually just ordered the bible curriculum you wrote about last week and am so excited to use it with my boys! Thanks again for taking the time to post!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for writing! I hope that you enjoy the bible curriculum with your boys. My kids really like it and I am glad to be able to include my tot!
Delete